Audubon Society of Rhode Island Names Arpin Group the 2014 Business of the YearOctober 21, 2014
Arpin Group Inc., located in West Warwick, Rhode Island, was honored as Business of the Year by the Audubon Society of Rhode Island at the Society’s Annual Meeting held on October 19, 2014. Audubon recognized Arpin Group for its leadership in applying environmentally sound and innovative practices to its day-to-day business operations. Arpin Group Partner Peter Arpin, accepted the award. Arpin Group, Inc. is the holding company for Arpin Van Lines, Arpin International Group and Creative Storage Solutions. Headquartered in West Warwick, RI, Arpin Group specializes in providing U.S. domestic and worldwide household goods moving and storage services to the private, corporate, government and military sectors.
Arpin Group and all of its subsidiaries model corporate environmental stewardship, and are seeking to positively transform the moving and storage industry through its green initiatives. The company considers environmental protection and sustainability to be consistent with its overall goals and values and an important consideration in its operations.
Arpin Renewable Energy, LLC is the newest addition to the Arpin Group of companies. Arpin Renewable Energy is a research and development company that explores and produces green alternatives that can be applied to the moving industry and host communities. It is also responsible for the implementation and management of “Green Initiatives” across all Arpin Group subsidiaries to help reduce its carbon footprint. Some of the ways that Arpin Group has implemented innovative environmental practices are:
- Arpin has installed a state-of-the-art 174kW solar array on their warehouse rooftop that is expected to supply more than 40% of the energy needed for the two buildings in their corporate complex.
- Their corporate headquarters has accomplished a zero-waste output from any move serviced. Every element (cardboard, paper, etc.) is recycled and does not end in the landfill. The company also purchases packing materials and supplies from companies that support sustainable forestry practices.
- In a joint initiative with Cardi’s Furniture, Arpin installed the first electric car charging station in the state – providing drivers of plug-in electric and hybrid cars a place to recharge at no cost.
- Arpin participates in a green business roundtable to discuss sustainability issues and environmental practices with other companies located in their West Warwick Business Park.
- The employee Wellness Studio at their corporate headquarters uses elliptical machines and other cardio equipment that generate power to the grid as the employees exercise to better health.
- Arpin headquarters incorporates LED lighting and occupancy sensors to maximize energy efficiency. Green materials are used for all new flooring and upgraded furniture workstations. Restroom faucets have auto-sensors and Xlerator hand dryers.
“We are pleased to award the Arpin Group the Business of the Year Award,” said Audubon Executive Director Lawrence Taft. “Their on-going commitment to environmental stewardship makes them an excellent role model for sustainable business practices that we encourage others to follow.”
The Audubon Society of Rhode Island is an independent not-for-profit environmental organization dedicated to protecting birds, wildlife, and their habitats through environmental education, advocacy, and land conservation. The state’s first environmental organization, the Society now protects nearly 10,000 acres in a network of refuges, pristine properties and wildlife habitats. One of the largest private environmental educators in the state, in 2013 Audubon staff taught approximately 22,000 students across the region.